Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Lot to Pull Together

The trip planning is one thing but then there's the business of getting house and yard in order as well. Lots to do. At least I don't have to worry about someone taking care of a pet (sad as it makes me to think about my little Miss Noshi the cat who has been gone two years April 16th). And then there were the usual "other things" like family functions, visitors, life in general. Many around-the-house projects have again been placed on hold.

Outdoors there was plenty to do in preparation for winter arriving sometime while I would be away. Amazingly the Indian Summer and warm temperatures prevailed. I absolutely hated having to cut back the plants in the gardens and tip the roses in front. The yews were covered in burlap and hay was mounded around other rose bushes. Even the extension cords were laid on the ground and positioned near the spruce in preparation for holiday lights -- just in case there's snow on the ground upon my return. Last year there was snow falling on October 10th! The first frosty temperatures made me feel a little better about all of this but so did the feeling of accomplishment and saying to myself, "the yard is done now forget about it!"