Sunday, August 15, 2010

Accommodation Planning

As if planning the itinerary wasn't hard enough, trying to find relatively cheap places to stay is proving to be equally difficult.

Various websites were pointed out in a travel article in the New York Times which proved helpful. Among them: Air B&B, CrashPadder, Couch Surfer as well as hostel and back-packer sites. Since this is meant to be done on a frugal traveler budget the idea of staying at even a two-star hotel was dismissed. I reminded myself that I wanted to mingle with the people -- real people and they're rarely found in the posh hotels ... haha. I bought it!

Focusing on Air B&B was easy as there were lots of good listings. Still, one must do some research and a visit to Trip Advisor is always helpful. Best to learn what others think of places. CrashPadder is very similar to Air B&B though I was less inclined to use it. Couch Surfer, while an interesting concept seemed to be geared more toward the 20-something crowd needing to keep accommodations expenses to a minimum so as to have more money for drinking?

I'm working through various options, the results yet to be determined ...