Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Future Travel Plans - RTW Again?

Hard to believe that it has been a month already since I returned from my around-the-world adventure. How time flies even when you're not having as much fun as while traveling.

Not long after my return home, my insomnia kicked back in and on one occasion the thought of doing another RTW trip could not be purged from my thought process. Good grief. Try as I might to forget about having 210k Delta SkyMiles just sitting there in my account, I could not! It was like money burning a hole in my pocket. So at 2:45 a.m. I got out of bed and turned on the laptop to begin plotting the route. By around 5:00 a.m. I'd worked out enough of it to return to my bed and fortunately I fell back asleep.

SkyTeam is another airline alliance (it includes Delta) and they too have sufficient member airlines to afford one the opportunity to fly around-the-world. The number of miles required for business class (do you think I'd travel any other way?) currently is 280k so I'm in need of at least 70k before this gets serious. They do not have a maximum permitted mileage requirement but do have a maximum number of stops: six. That's the rub. (Using the oneworld alliance I could travel up to 50,000 miles with lots of stops along the way). Nevertheless, there are always ways around travel restrictions for those who are creative.

Without a doubt I want to return to Australia (and improve my "arrival" from what it was this last trip) and fortunately Delta flies the route non-stop from Los Angeles. Sydney was very fun but I might try and also get to Perth this next time; even a return to the outback. From there I'd head for Seoul, Korea where I have only transited on a connection years ago. Korean Airlines would be the carrier both from Sydney and then continuing on to Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I've lived in the middle east but not in this particular region and have been fascinated by Dubai for many years. Several classmates from college days at F.I.T. live in the region so perhaps I could visit them as well. Next stop, via Kenya Airways, would be Nairobi and it will be a hub of activity. While it seems doubtful that I would be fit enough for a climb up Kilimanjaro as my friend Matt did in 2009, I wouldn't rule it out completely. From NBO I'd like to visit the surrounding area but also the island of Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam, the island of Madagascar, perhaps the Seychelles and maybe even a visit to Victoria Falls (depending on the season and water flow at the falls). Sounds ambitious, I know, but I like to dream big and then let reality take its toll. Some type of "visit-Africa" pass would have to be purchased which no doubt would be for economy class travel -- yikes! Then it would be off to Johannesburg but again, only for the connecting flight on Air France to Paris, hopefully aboard another Airbus 380 (engines are not made by Rolls Royce, so there should be no problems). I saw the aircraft both times I transited JNB on the last trip. Paris would be for a short visit much like London was this last time. (If AF were to pull the aircraft from that route I'd fly directly from NBO to Amsterdam and stay there for a few days). Once again, I'd go to South America, but this time a return visit to Buenos Aires is my preference, at least for the moment. I love the city, despite some difficulties I had there in 2006.

I know, I know, you probably think I'm crazy but, hey, planning something like this is much easier the second time around! Perhaps I'll find someone who wants to share the experience with me in person this time, versus via some blog. There will be no back-packer lodges or similar on this trip although I'd certainly look into Airbnb again. And it's not as though I'm leaving next year. Well, it's unlikely.

And after this? One last return visit to Antarctica; a more extensive one than the last.

Wish me luck! Best wishes to everyone for a Happy New Year/Decade!