Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day of Departure


Sitting in the Admirals Club of American Airlines at the DFW airport isn't half bad.

My flight departed MSP on time and a continental breakfast was served to those of us in first class. My friend Brad would be please to know that Cheerios were served (he works for General Mills). The older man seated next to me didn't eat breakfast. He was too busy playing with his iPad, well, I thought he was playing but in fact it turned out he was reading scripture lessons and there was video too, some guy in what I assumed was the Holy Land. I shouldn't be so mean in my thoughts but the guy creeped me out. Wonder what his reaction would have been if he knew he was sitting next to a gay man ... I dozed off, still very tired from the lack of sleep the night before.

The alarm didn't go off at 03:30 as planned. My sleep was on/off anyway so when I finally looked at the clock I discovered it was 04:08 and jumped out of bed. (Most heart attacks occur in the morning as a result of activity such as mine). Made the bed and jumped into the shower. The tazi would be waiting at 05:00. I had to be at the airport two hours prior to departure since I was ultimately flying international. The bag was packed and I was out the door at 05:05 as the taxi arrived out front. We're off --- and running.

The flight into DFW was uneventful until just prior to touch down. Suddenly one could feel engine power applied and we climbed out and away from the runway, banking to the right and circling back. Some time passed, quiet time. The captain came on and explained that he had come in "a little to high and hot" for his liking so he decided to abort the landing. As a result we might be a few minutes later than scheduled arrival. I hoped that this wasn't an omen. We landed the second time around without incident, possibly my last flight on an American Airlines MD-80 as they're scheduled to be phased out. The lay-over at DFW was enough to catch my breath, briefly. The flight to Tokyo was called for boarding and on the way back down to the gate I called my sister, Anne and received a text from my friend Matt who I presume was at work (with Delta at MSP). I replied that his text was the last official one to be received for quite some time since I'd be phone-less while traveling. (Phone messages can still be left on the home number and I can access them via the internet, but the cell phone will not be used due to associated costs). Then I called the folks to say good-bye and was in fact talking to my mother while having my boarding pass scanned and walking down the jetway to board the aircraft. I felt just like a corporate road warrior.

The doors to the American Airlines Boeing 777 were closed and we pushed back from the gate on time. Take off from DFW and it would seem that there's no turning back now.