Saturday, October 30, 2010

Some Smooth & Fast Talking Got Me IN !

Singapore at night from the 71st floor of the Swissotel, The Stamford and the New Asia Bar.

Another view, this one showing the waterfront and the Fullerton Hotel in the bottom left corner.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I've lost my interest in being out late at night and somehow participating in this or that "scene." But it was a Friday night, my last one in Singapore and my younger sister's 45th birthday so what the heck. And there was a challenge: getting into the New Asia Bar, which is very trendy and on Friday & Saturday nights has a $25 cover charge just to get in. So, dressing in my black Levi 511 skinny jeans and a nice black shirt seemed appropriate. Black Converse tennis shoes were worn too. Actually, with my salt & pepper hair the whole thing came together rather well if I do say so myself!

Upon arrival at the hotel I visited with the concierge and explained who I "was" and what I was doing in Singapore and my route of travel, etc. He was young enough to be overwhelmingly impressed. After handing me a $50 voucher for food/drink we walked over to the "gate keeper" and after a brief conversation with him the underside of my wrist was stamped and I was shown the way to the elevator. No cover charge. And away I went up to the top of the tallest hotel in Southeast Asia.

The views are absolutely stunning! I could barely pull myself away from the window let along stop taking photos. Finally, I headed to the bar and sat down for a drink as virtually all the other chairs were taken and the crowd standing around was large and talkative. I learned that a Tiger beer would cost $16 or a Johnny Walker black label $25. I had a beer and a plate of calamari which with tip spent the voucher completely. Enjoying the scene for a little while and having raised my glass in a toast to Anne on her birthday from her big brother half-way around the world, I finally left with my little souvenir "New Asia" cardboard coaster and headed for "home."

The "boys" were still out when I arrived but returned shortly. I showed them the photos and the coaster and told them the tale. They were amazed; not a dime was spent!