Friday, October 29, 2010

Seeing the Sights of Singapore

My little Frommer's Day-by-day guidebook was a good investment in that it clearly maps out things to see in a limited number of days. Using it extensively I visited sights in Colonial Singapore including Raffles Hotel (home of the Singapore Sling drink as served up at the Long Bar -- though I didn't have one there since it was during the morning). I walked over to the Singapore Flyer which is the world's largest Ferris wheel. Due to budget I didn't go for a ride. Walking along the Esplanade I saw other memorable sights and admired the beautiful tall buildings in the central business district. Finally, a visit to see one of five merlions and have my photo taken (above).

On another day I visited the Botanical Gardens, at Daniel's suggestion, and admired the natural beauty just a short bus ride from the condo. And neighborhood visits that I enjoyed were Chinatown and Little India.

Though the weather was very hot and humid I was able to duck in to air conditioned buildings from time to time. The public transportation is air conditioned as well. Speaking of that, I am amazed at how easy the MRT is to use -- even for me! Everything is clearly marked, announcements are made in English as well as other languages and if ever there's any doubt someone is nearby ready to help. Wonderful!