Thursday, October 21, 2010

Enroute to Tokyo, then Sydney and an Infamous Arrival

Business class on American Airlines seemed nice enough to me. I was also fortunate enough to have a guy who turned out to be a terrific seat mate for the 13+ hour flight. When the champagne was poured Jon was the first to raise his glass towards me and offer a "cheers". That was both classy and sweet. His appearance reminded me of the actor Brendan Fraser and when I pointed this out to Jon he added, "yeah, with about 30 extra pounds."

We watched our progress across the Rockies displayed on the monitor in front of us and chatted much. It's always fun to meet someone and feel an immediate connection. The fact that we both shared the same sexual orientation became evident to each other and that strengthened the bond as well. He has a partner of four years and I congratulated him on that accomplishment. He was traveling to Hong Kong on business, something he does twice a year. The business class on AA he likened to premium economy at best on most of the Asian carriers. I had insufficient information thus far based on my travels but agreed that most Asian carriers always earn high marks for their service. I was looking forward to gaining more experience.

The meal service began and by the time we were offered choices of entrees the selection was limited. American works from the rear of the aircraft to the front on odd numbered flights; we were sitting in the front. Still, my selection remained available: seasonal garden greens, garlic ginger beef with mushrooms, mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables. Wine too. There was more than I could eat so I left some. Later, Bridgette our flight attendant asked me about dessert. "You probably noticed I didn't clean my dinner plate," I pointed out. "I noticed nothing of the sort, " she replied. I had some ice cream. There's plenty of time on a long-haul flight for conversation, food and watching several full-length movies. I watched two. Then there was the need for some sleep. The seat reclined a great deal but it was not 180 degrees lie-flat, more like 150 degrees. I was disappointed by that.

Before long (so I must have slept) we were being told of our approach to Japan. The monitor confirmed this and showed us gliding over the north island. I'd noted our cruise altitude was 38,000 feet and airspeed around 520 mph. Made good time for sure. Looking out the window after having opened the shades I saw a cloudy day but as we approached Narita airport, Mt. Fuji appeared from behind a cloud bank. We landed on schedule.

Jon and I headed for the Admirals Club which he said had been completely renovated and enlarged. His flight would depart before mine. We both got something to drink; wine for him and diet coke for me. Checked emails, etc. using the wifi access provided. His name was called -- final boarding for his flight and after a hug good-bye we parted company. Emails had of course already been exchanged mid-flight.

I had found upon arrival at NRT that the Qantas desk wasn't open so I had to go back after awhile to check in. I would have needed to depart the Club anyway as it closed at 7:30 p.m. and my flight didn't depart until 8:30 p.m. So I packed up and headed out.

The Qantas representative advised me that my assigned seat didn't exist, perhaps due to a different aircraft (Boeing 747-400 nevertheless). I asked about business class being available and she said it was not (I'd had to downgrade to economy for this segment to get on the flight but kept my fingers-crossed to the bitter end). A new seat was offered and I ended up in 70J, an aisle seat nearly at the back of the plane. The young guy seated at the window (there were only two seats at this point of the aircraft) offered to switch and I took him up on it advising that I really just intended to sleep my way to Sydney.

After an on-time departure, the ear plugs went in and the eye-mask on as I attempted to get some sleep. It was fitful at best but somehow the next thing I noted was an announcement for breakfast. I was hungry, in fact I'd been feeling rather faint; seriously faint. The food arrived and the coffee too -- so did the turbulence. It was pretty rough and after a minute the captain ordered everyone to be seated and buckle up. The tail section of any plane doesn't ride out turbulence very well, at least from a passengers point of view. After watching most of my coffee slosh out and onto the tray I decided to cover the cup with a napkin which in the end was soaked. The turbulence finally ended after we changed altitude. I took one look at the breakfast entree and opted out of eating. Again I felt light-headed; enough to alert the flight attendant when he collected the tray. "You might need a shot of oxygen which we can provide. Sometimes we feel the same after a long flight so just ask," he calmly said.

By the time we landed and taxied to the gate I felt positively awful. I'd been essentially awake for over 33 hours. Fortunately my alcohol intake was minimal the whole time. As people left the aircraft the flight attendant came over to me with the oxygen bottle. I took a hit though the mask made me feel closed-in. Several others came over and the lead attendant started asking me questions and for my passport. I had to ask for a barf bag and then had to use it. It was actually rather a funny sight: this guy in the back of the plane surrounded by a group of five male flight attendants barfing what little contents of his stomach there remained. At one point the thought of being "rescued" by Aussie life savers crossed my mind ... hehe. Too bad it wasn't a good photo-op.

Although feeling a tad better, I was told that my departure off the aircraft would be via aisle chair and then wheel chair. I agreed I didn't have the strength to make the trip any other way. Having loaded up my stuff we headed forward in the long 747 cabin. At the doorway I thanked everyone as I was handed off to the gate agents. The journey continued to immigration and customs and it was a very long journey indeed, like OMG!! No doubt I looked horrible so everyone took pity and passed me through until they noticed I'd declared foodstuffs. Full stop. Main suitcase was opened (by me) and the Jolly Time microwave popcorn packets were removed and confiscated.

Next stop was the airport doctor's office which Qantas staff required lest I be taken to hospital! I agreed. Checked in and saw the doctor. Blood sugar levels were low and blood pressure was low. I was exhausted. He offered some of his own personal banana bread. I tried it but couldn't get much down as I felt nausea. Next came a small bottle of green colored glucose which was cold and tasted awful but I had to drink completely. I did. I got an anti-nausea shot in the arm. I took a nap for nearly a hour later I awoke. The doctor advised me that I should go to the hospital. I suggested taking a cab to where I was staying. He agreed but only if I could sit upright for a short while in his presence. I did.

The bill came to $130 Australian dollars! Then the wheel chair returned and off to the taxi stand I went. The outside temperature was rather warm, the skies blue and the sun was shining. Wow, what a way to return to Sydney!