Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sunday at Bondi Beach

What better way to spend a Sunday morning than at Sydney's most famous beach! After stopping off for a terrific breakfast I headed across the street and spent some time people-watching and refreshing my suntan. The water temp. was pretty chilly so only my feet got wet. (Bondi is pronounced "bond-eye").
This iconic ocean pool at the southern end of the beach is home to the Bondi Icebergs, founded in 1929. It was originally used by local surf lifesavers to keep fit during the winter months. If the water wasn't deemed cold enough, ice blocks were added.

Since, as I said before, the water temperature was pretty chilly I didn't go in for a dip here either, in fact not many people were swimming.


One can take a 3.5 km cliff top walk along the coast from Bondi to Bronte beach. The scenery enroute is fantastic. This photo is approaching Bronte beach. Shortly after my arrival, thunderstorm clouds appeared on the horizon so I hopped on the bus and headed back into the city. Got back to the lodge just as the skies opened!