Thursday, November 4, 2010

Counting My Lucky Stars


Sad sight to behold.


The engine failure on a Qantas Airbus 380 and subsequent landing in Singapore certainly made for some wild reporting in the media. Fortunately there were no injuries. Since this was the aircraft type I flew from SYD to SIN it did give me some pause. I was on flight QF 31 and the aircraft registration was VH-OQF (yes, I keep track of that sort of stuff in a log book; I am a pilot after all). The aircraft involved in the incident was registered VH-OQA operating as QF 32. Grounding the entire A380 fleet was certainly prudent on the part of the airline; there are currently only six in service with Qantas. Yes, I would have been disappointed had this happened prior to my flight on the aircraft so that's why I'm counting my lucky stars!

For the curious, Q A N T A S stands for Queensland And Northern Territories Aerial Services.
(Photo by Vivek Prakash/Reuters)