Friday, November 5, 2010

Zebra Crossing Lodge - Budget Travel Accommodations

The living/dining room (left) & courtyard dining area (below).



Another courtyard (below left) where unfortunately smoking is permitted. The door to my room is the one with windows (#6). Access to the bathrooms/showers is around the corner to the left when exiting my room. Interior of my room (below, right).



As far as "backpacker lodges" go, I guess Zebra Crossing is a pretty decent one, all things considered. Price is US$29.00 per night so the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies. The showers & bathrooms are certainly cleaner than the ones in Sydney. No need to turn on the "cold" faucet though when taking a shower. Signs posted remind people to conserve water as "we are in Africa ...". The kitchen is usually pretty messy with dishes in the sink despite reminders telling people how "unfair" this is to others. As long as I have access to hot water and can refrigerate items I'm reasonably happy. Smoking near my room (where the window has to be open for some circulation of fresh air) can be bothersome as can late-night talking despite a sign that says not to do so after 11:00 p.m. Glad I brought ear plugs.

The guests at this place cover a broader age range than I found in Sydney; 20s to 58, but mostly 30s. Friendly people I've met include those from Switzerland, the Netherlands, Germany and the U.S. Some actually are working/living here. A (late 40-ish) German woman is a part-time tour guide on a boat that goes out in search of Great White sharks. One day when she returned I heard her mention to someone that she was about ready to feed a couple of German tourists to the shark! She's quite a character; smokes like a chimney and drinks a lot too (I mean a beer at breakfast? Seriously).

The two young women on staff here are friendly and helpful with directions, guidance & suggestions. And fortunately the location of this lodge is not on Long Street which is where a lot of other backpacker lodges are situated. That is an area where all-night partying is the norm. It reminds me of New Orleans somewhat. At any time I can walk a few steps across the courtyard and view Table Mountain which is pretty cool. One day after visiting the mountain I opted to walk back from the lower cable station to the lodge. It was all downhill and only took 40 minutes.

Would I stay here again? Only under similar (frugal travel) budget requirements.