Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Good-bye Africa

Been hanging out today at airline lounges both in Cape Town and now Johannesburg, both with British Airways. Got my bags checked through to London, Heathrow and am awaiting the flight tonight for what I'm afraid will be a soggy few days in England. Oh well.

The last time I set foot on the African continent was 1985 when I visited Egypt as part of my graduate studies while living in the Middle East. Hopefully a return visit to Africa won't take another 25 years because I don't think I'll want to be traveling much when I'm that age (you can do the arithmetic).

At this point, Johannesburg, I've traveled 25,830 miles which is more than the half-way point of the 49,162 miles I'm scheduled to fly. Of course, when I fly to Easter Island I will be actually flying past my initial point of departure, MSP.

Checking-in on-line last night at the British Airways website afforded me an opportunity to grab the last seat in business class on the upper deck of the Boeing 747-400. They had already assigned me to a seat on the main deck but it's more quiet & private upstairs and the service is better. I'm looking forward to getting some sleep on this leg but may have to watch a movie first since I actually haven't done that since the flight from Dallas to Tokyo.

Will let you know what I find when I arrive in the U.K.