Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Atop San Cristobal Mountain

San Cristobal mountain overlooks the city of Santiago. It's more the height of a bluff along the Mississippi River but no matter. It is a destination for tourists and locals and Sunday is especially important and festive. Atop the mountain is a very large statue depicting the Virgin Mary and this is the destination for many.

On the way to where I would board the funicular I stopped by Bella Vista Patio because I heard tango music. Sure enough there was a crowd gathered to watch couples tango. A video of this is available for viewing upon request. While watching the tango I noticed a man with his pet llama. He was letting little children ride on it for a donation. Closer to the funiclear station there were various stands selling just about anything, including a face mask if you weren't satisfied with the one attached already.



I boarded the funicular and up the mountain I went until reaching the top. The view was lovely although the smog made the distant Andes difficult to see. There was music being played and clearly a Roman Catholic mass was in process. Further up I climbed (via steps) and along the way were dressed people young and old in traditional garb. Later, after mass, they would be processing around.




Nearing the statue of Mary, I stopped by the place where candles are lit and messages left, mostly thanking Mary for helping someone out for one thing or another. Some had left plaques with the message.







I didn't light a candle, or leave a message or make a donation either. I just took lots of photos before heading back down the mountain. The place was packed with people, some hiking others biking and still others having a picnic lunch. There is also a zoo and numerous trails to walk around to other parts of the mountain. One can easily make a visit here an all-day event.