Saturday, November 13, 2010

Saturday is Busy in Santiago

My room at this nice little Hostal Rio Amazonas looks out over the front yard of the Argentinian Embassy with its manicured lawn and garden tucked away behind a wrought iron fence and hedge. Passers by cannot see from the street-side what's inside, but I can. There have been no dignitaries visiting as best as I can tell and I don't even no if any officials are in currently in residence despite the flag waving in the breeze daily. Street noise can be a bit bothersome at times, but that is my only complaint otherwise I highly recommend it.

Of course I had to venture out immediately after arrival. Perfect weather, no excuses. I'm close to Plaza Italia with its monument encircled with brightly colored flowers. This is an ideal location because it is adjacent to two barrios popular for drink, food and nightlife: Bellavista and Providencia.



Near the plaza and just across the Rio Mapocho (although at this time of the year it isn't bigger than a creek) is a collection of little stands where local artisans sell their wares. It seems that anywhere one walks there is bound to be a church appearing seemingly out of nowhere. Naturally I felt compelled to photograph it and more often than not take a look inside.


Bordering the river is a long park area that runs basically east and west where typically a lot of people are relaxing, reading the paper, making-out, watching children play, etc. There is no absence of public displays of affection regardless of age. Near the end of this park area is the Academia De Bellas Artes which was open to the public free of charge due to exhibits being changed or something like that. The building architecture is magnificent especially the ceiling.



Eventually I found myself (I was wandering after all) at the Mercado Central and once inside, totally amazed at the sights, sounds and smells. Fresh seafood -- and I mean fresh -- was on display and fishmongers yelling this and that in very loud voices! These stalls form the perimeter of a dining area that was jammed with people, locals and tourists alike. Fascinating.



On the way back to my hostal I photographed another form of local art, graffiti, which is EVERYWHERE. Some of it is interesting and some of it not but it is difficult to pass a building that doesn't have it somewhere.

After a nap (I'd done a lot of walking) I cleaned up and headed to Bella Vista Patio and a nearby restaurant called Galindo where I had Pastel de Choclo for dinner which is essentially a chicken pot pie with the addition of mashed potato, mashed corn and ripe olives. Very good but too much and too heavy for a rather warm evening. I should add that Santiago is currently still on daylight savings so it doesn't get dark until after 9:00 p.m.